Everyone has bad breath at some point. The good news is that it can be fixed.
Read on to find out what could be causing your bad breath and take the first step towards getting rid of it!
Causes of bad breath
The first step to curing bad breath is to figure out what’s causing it. Bad breath has many causes, including:
- Poor oral hygiene. The most common cause of bad breath is a lack of proper oral hygiene. If you don’t brush your teeth enough, then bacteria build up in your mouth and release smelly odours. This is one of the reasons why it’s so important to brush your teeth twice a day and keep them clean.
- Smoking. Tobacco is another common cause of bad breath. Commonly known as smoker’s breath, tobacco can cause an unpleasant smell of chemicals in a smoker’s mouth.
- Dry mouth. Saliva helps to prevent bad breath because it kills bacteria and washes away food particles. However, our saliva production naturally decreases during the night, which is why so many people suffer from bad breath without an obvious cause.
- Medications. Some medications cause dry mouth, which in turn leads to bad breath.
- Alcohol. Another cause of bad breath is alcohol. All alcoholic drinks, like beer and wine, make your breath smell bad because they make your mouth dry.
- Food. Some foods can cause bad breath. Onion, garlic and spices can all give your breath a bad odour if you’ve eaten them the night before.
Solutions to bad breath
If you have bad breath, then don’t worry – there are a few simple things you can do to get rid of it.
- Clean your teeth. Cleaning your teeth is an important part of getting rid of bad breath. This is because it’s the bacteria and dirty teeth that cause bad breath in the first place. Ideally, you should be brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing them once a day. What’s more, many kinds of toothpaste are flavoured, which will help to mask the smell of bad breath.
- Rinse your mouth with mouthwash. Giving your mouth a quick rinse with mouthwash is another good way to get rid of bad breath. Not only does mouthwash cover up the smell of bad breath, but it also kills the bacteria that cause bad breath in the first place.
- Drink water. If you have bad breath, then it’s a good idea to drink plenty of water. Water will make your mouth less dry and will neutralise the acidity in your mouth. This can help alleviate bad breath.
- Chew gum. Chewing gum is a good way to get rid of bad breath. Not only does the flavour of the chewing gum will help to mask bad breath but chewing gum also gets your saliva flowing, which kills the bacteria that cause bad breath. But do try to use sugar-free gum if possible, because it’s better for your teeth.
- Chew parsley. Did you know that parsley can alleviate bad breath? A chew on a small sprig of parsley is a quick and effective way to freshen your breath.
The best way to prevent bad breath is to look after your teeth. By brushing and flossing your teeth regularly, you can keep the bacteria that cause bad breath under control.
If you’re suffering from bad breath and would like to see a dentist about it, then just make an appointment at reception.Leave a reply